TOURIST ORGANISATIONS IN INDIA
The first step towards the different development of tourism industry was initiated in the year 1945. When Sergeant Committee was appointed Sir John Sergeant was the educational advisor of the Government of India. The main objective of the committee was to surely the potential of developing tourist traffic in the country. The committee submitted their reports in 1946. The main recommendations of the committee was as follows
1. A separate tourist organisation should be set up the centre with regional offices at Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai
2. An Ad-hoc committee was appointed in 1948 for suggesting promotion in India under the Ministry of Transport
3. A tourist traffic branch was set up in the Ministry of transport in 1949 with the increase in its activities
4. During their 1956 a headquarters was established and were separated into four sectors
Tourist Transport Organisation
It was to look after both internal and external tourist traffic, legal matters, five years plans for travel agencies and hotels and facilitation of tourist statistics and monthly reports. It also dealt with international conferences, coordination with railways, establishment of tourist bureaus in states and development of tourist centres, etc.
Tourist Administration Section
It was dealing with tourist offices both in India and abroad. Budget, delegation of financial powers to tourist offices in India and abroad and periodical introduction of tourist offices.
Tourist Publicity Section
It was dealt with publication of tourist literature, guide books, posters and participation in exhibition etc.
It was dealt with distribution of tourist publicity literature in India and abroad
Tourist Offices in India
In 1957 a statistical section was started and during this period a chain of tourist offices was set up in India and abroad. The Government of India opened a tourist office in London. Later two more offices were opened in Paris and Frankfurt (Germany). Another tourist office was operating in Colombo in connection with the 2500 years anniversary of Gautham Budha. Another was operated in Melbourne.
1. To establish and maintain continuous contact with heads of national tourist offices of other governments, travel writers, film and TV producers etc.
2. To establish and maintain continuous contact with travel agents, airline companies, shipping companies, professional clubs and international tourist promotion societies
3. Tourist publicity and promotion by way of confidents, article, TV and radio programmes, advertisement through participation in exhibition and fairs.
4. To supply up to date information about tourist facilities in India
5. To supply information to central department of Tourism about current trends in tourism in the area of its function.
6. To organise film shows, tourist documentaries and other film of tourism interest for various groups.
7. To organise and supervise the advertisement programmes, grants towards promotion of tourist traffic in India
8. To answer any type of enquiries made by tourist and to prepare a monthly newsletter giving all the information of tourist interest.
9. Distribution of tourist literature
10. Participate in social function, conferences and meetings with a view to promote tourism in India.
Department of Tourism (DOT)
In 1958 a separate tourist department was created in the Ministry of transport headed by incharge of administration, publicity, travel, relation, planning and development. Presently there are two different departments. Seasonal Trip is accredited tour operator by Department of Tourism, Government of Kerala and Ministry of Tourism, Government of India. Presently there are two different departments
1. Department of Tourism
2. Department of civil aviation
Department of tourism is a non-participating attached office of the ministry of tourism and civil aviation headed by Director General of Tourism. The department is both a policy making and executive organisation and is assisted by
1. An Additional Director
2. A Joint Director
3. A Deputy Secretary General
4. 4 Deputy Secretaries at Headquarters
The different departments are the following
1. Planning and Programming
2. Publicity and conferences
3. Travel, Trade and hospitatlity industry
5. Supplementary Accommodation and wildlife
6. Market research
1. Collection, combination and distribution of tourist information in India and abroad and attending enquiries from international tourist organisation, tour operators, airline companies, hotels etc.
2. Coordination with international travel and tourist organisation at Government and non-governmental levels
3. Development of tourist facilities
4. Simplification of formalities regarding entrance and exit of international tourist
5. Publicity within the country and abroad to create and awareness of the importance of tourism
6. Regulating the activities of various segments of travel such as hotels, travel agents, shop keepers etc.
For effective liaison with various ministries the following committees were formed
1. Standing facilitation committee of director general of civil aviation
2. Civil aviation development committee
3. Advisory committee on Indian airlines
4. Export Import advisory committee
5. Indian board for wildlife
6. Central advisory board of archaeology
7. Airport planning group
8. Hotel industry study group of the ministry of labour
9. Governing body of the institute of hotel management catering technology and nutrition
10. Central postal and telegraph advisory committee
11. Ad-Hoc committee to review standing rules regarding the use of protected monuments for hold in public functions, sponsored by government and non-government organisation
12. India Tourism development Corporation
5 NIGHTS / 6 DAYS HONEYMOON PACKAGE
Beautiful Honeymoon Package kerala that a just married couple can ever have at "Gods Own Country"
Enjoy the beauty of Vembanad lake and start your
5 NIGHTS / 6 DAYS PREMIUM KERALA PACKAGE
This package promises a relaxed premium holiday at Kerala gods own country.You can enjoy the Historical Kochi, Misty mountains of Munnar, the wilderness of Thekkady an
4 Nights 5 days Honemoon package